Boko Haram is suspected to have killed at least 30 people and kidnapped as many as 200 women and children in an attack on a Nigerian village.
A witness told the BBC “he helped bury 33 bodies,” and “about 200 women and children had been kidnapped from Gumsuri village in north-eastern Borno state.”
The incident occurred on Sunday. News only emerged on Dec 18: AFP reports that details took four days to emerge because the mobile phone network has largely collapsed.
Many of the roads in the area are impassable.
There have been an increasing number of attacks in Nigeria over the past 18 months, but Boko Haram’s kidnapping of Chibok’s schoolgirls especially sparked international outrage.
World Watch Monitor provided insight into the strategy behind the attacks in its report, How does Boko Haram justify kidnap of 230 Nigerian teenage girls?
The Nigerian government has said it is “outraged and deeply saddened” at this latest incident.