Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- 20+ Nigerian Christians drown in river attempting to escape Fulani attackers
- Abduction of Italian priest shocks Niger
- Boko Haram kills midwife, threatens to kill other hostages, including Leah Sharibu, unless demands met
- ‘Being Burmese means being Buddhist’ – pastor explains discrimination faced by Christians in Myanmar
- Central African Republic: Dozens feared dead after massacre in Bria