Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- ‘In context of gender justice, women’s right to freedom of religion pretty much ignored’
- Christians face uncertain future as Syria enters possible last year of civil war
- For persecuted Christian women, violence is compounded by ‘shaming’
- Pastor Brunson case increased ‘hate speech’ against Turkey’s Protestants – report
- North Korea asks for food aid as its president discusses denuclearisation