Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- Pakistan joins US list of worst religious freedom violators
- Indian Christians heave sighs of relief as Hindu nationalists lose elections in key states
- Egypt: Copt sentenced to three years in prison for ‘blasphemous’ Facebook post
- Indonesian Christian governor Ahok set for early release from prison
- Raymond Koh’s wife ‘expects justice’ as inquiry into Malaysian pastor’s abduction ends