Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- Egypt: Copt and son killed in IS attack
- Pakistan: Christians continue to face blasphemy convictions and violent attacks
- Egypt: Father and son stabbed in latest attack on Copts
- ICC Prosecutor visits Nigeria to discuss war crimes and crimes against humanity with government
- Egypt: Copt stabbed seven times by neighbour who’d lured in his son