Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- Burkina Faso: Fulani pastor brings hope to stigmatised communities
- Swiss woman, hostage almost 5 years, killed by Islamist extremists in Mali
- Priest, held by Islamist extremists for two years, freed in Mali
- Eritrean evangelical Christians freed on bail due to COVID-19
- “Why don’t these black lives matter?”