Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- Egypt: friends fear family may have killed ex-teacher of Islam who became Christian
- Turkey serves deportation order after German’s 20 years of tourism work
- EU Envoy’s threat of trade sanctions played crucial role in Asia Bibi’s freedom
- Lack of a lunch for all – life in an IDP camp on Myanmar border
- At least 150 Christians arrested in Eritrea clampdown