Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- For Gambian Christians, there’s a lot to like — and one big worry — in the proposed constitution
- Korean murdered in southeast Turkey ‘for mobile phone’
- Refusing to move, an Ethiopian congregation is arrested
- Egypt: Series of fires in their churches ‘not a coincidence’, say Copts
- Turkey serves deportation order after German’s 20 years of tourism work