Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- ‘It’s time to be real: what happens in Iraq is ethnic cleansing’ – UK analyst
- Ethiopia: Pressure on churches building; evangelical church told to vacate after ten years
- Iraq: Five years after IS occupied Mosul, returnees live in fear
- India: Supreme Court orders Kandhamal Christian freed on bail after 10 years in prison
- Burkina Faso: 5 leaders killed in 3 months as Islamists continue to target churches