Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- Alexandria Palm Sunday bombing, one year on – lone dad who lost his wife, uncle and nephew
- Pakistan Christian escapes death for ‘clearly fabricated’ blasphemy
- Algeria closes fourth church in four months
- Ethiopian Protestant loses appeal against prison sentence for ‘causing outrage to religious peace and feeling’
- Coptic teacher charged with contempt of religion for questions about Muhammad