Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- UN chief ‘personally concerned’ about return of Christians to Iraq and Syria
- Egypt to pay for Coptic bomb attack victim’s surgery in Germany
- Tajikistan: Christian convert’s burial delayed as relatives call for husband to return to Islam
- Iraqi Christian Rita was sold four times on the IS sex slave market
- What churches can do to help victims of sexual violence in conflict to stay ‘part of us’