Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- Pakistani Christian couple acquitted of blasphemy after 7 years on death row
- Boko Haram ‘flies flag 2 hours from Abuja’ warned Governor, as Nigerian captive teen turns 18
- Death threats, by Islamic State in Sinai, against Egyptian Copt sons who mourn dad
- ‘Bring back our 112 Chibok girls – now and alive!’ Demands for closure and disclosure 7 years on
- Malaysian woman wins 13 year fight for right to call God ‘Allah’