Rebels in the Donetsk region of Ukraine have declared an autonomous region complete with an official religion: The Russian Orthodox Church. Al Jazeera America reports that commanders of the self-proclaimed “Donetsk People’s Republic” have shelled churches and the buildings of other religious minorities, and have arrested Protestant and Catholic leaders on suspicion of spying for the West. A number of believers have been beaten or tossed into jail, and thousands of religious minorities have fled the region.
- Burkina Faso: 5 leaders killed in 3 months as Islamists continue to target churches
- Sri Lankan Christians grapple with aftermath of Easter bombings amid fears of fresh attacks
- Ten years after fake blasphemy charge, Pakistani Asia Bibi reunited with family
- Burkina Faso church leader killed by Islamists: ‘I’d rather die than leave my community’
- “I was last to come out alive”- Kenyan student on her life-changing injuries from Garissa