Nigerians displaced by Boko Haram told to return to dangerous areas to vote

Nigerians displaced by Boko Haram told to return to dangerous areas to vote
In northeast Nigeria, thousands of people who have fled Boko Haram’s attacks have been told to return back home, despite security concerns. Boko Haram’s nine-year insurgency has led to an acute crisis, described by the United Nations as one of the most severe in the world today, with more than 20,000 people killed, . . . Read More

Nigeria: herders’ attacks completely decimate villages in ‘scorched earth’ campaigns

Catholics protest in Kaduna state on 22 May, 2018.
In Nigeria, conflict between farmers and herders has become the country’s gravest security challenge, claiming six times more lives than the Boko Haram insurgency, the International Crisis Group (ICG) says in a report published yesterday. The report, ‘Stopping Nigeria’s Spiralling Farmer-Herder Conflict’, says that more than 1,300 people were killed . . . Read More

Nigerian Christian schoolgirl ‘escaped’, only to be sent back to Boko Haram

Leah Sharibu, 14, was abducted by Boko Haram on 19 February. (Photo from family)
The only Christian among the 110 Nigerian schoolgirls abducted last month by Boko Haram ran away from her kidnappers but was caught and brought back three days later, according to fellow captives, reports the UK’s Guardian newspaper. Leah Sharibu, 15, and two other girls walked for three days and, hungry and exhausted, . . . Read More

104 Dapchi girls back home, but fate of Christian unknown

(From left) Zahra Bukar, 13, Fatima Abdu, 14, Fatima Abdulkarim, 15 and Yagana Mustapha, 15, were released by Boko Haram after they were abducted from their school in Dapchi, in February 2018. (Photo: AMINU ABUBAKAR/AFP/Getty Images)
The more than 100 schoolgirls released four days ago by Boko Haram in northeast Nigeria were returned to their families yesterday (25 March), the BBC reports. Immediately after their release they were flown to the capital, Abuja, for medical and security screening, and to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari. Meanwhile . . . Read More

Fears of ‘another Chibok’ after Boko Haram school attack

Some of the 21 girls who were released in October 2016. (Photo:  Open Doors International)
Fears are growing that the girls still missing after Boko Haram attacked a boarding school in Nigeria’s north-eastern state of Yobe on Monday night (19 February) have been taken by the militant group. The attack comes almost four years after Boko Haram kidnapped 276 girls from a boarding school in Chibok, . . . Read More